The Manufacturer: Mars Air Systems
Who They Are
Mars Air Systems commonly known as Mars Air Curtains is an American-based manufacturer and distributor of air curtains and air doors. The company distributes its products internationally and serves both industrial and commercial markets. Mars products are designed to deliver numerous benefits for customers, including the reduction of energy usage and costs and the sanitation of building environments by keeping flying pests, dust, debris, and fumes from getting inside. Air curtains and air doors from Mars Air Systems can also achieve improved comfort by eliminating drafts and ensuring more consistent interior temperatures. Products from Mars Air Systems have been used in many different environments, including restaurants, refrigeration/cold storage facilities, retail stores, factories, warehouses, airport terminals, schools, hospitals, entertainment venues, and more.
According to the Mars Air Systems website, the company has maintained a “relentless pursuit to perfect the customer experience for more than 55 years.” The business, established in 1962 and based in Gardena, California, has been one longest-standing players in the air curtain/air door market. In 2013, shortly after celebrating its 50 year anniversary, Mars Air Systems unveiled a substantial rebrand, with the goal of setting up the company for another half-century of growth, service, and evolution.
The current President and CEO of Mars Air Systems is Steve Rosol, who has been with the company since 1994. Rosol comes from an engineering background: he holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan, and his resume includes mechanical engineering roles with companies like NH Research and Rockwell International. Rosol oversaw the 2013 Mars Air Systems rebrand and leads the company with a focus on innovation and strategic development.
Mars Air Systems focuses on the development of air curtains and air doors. The company has no other product departments, allowing it to commit itself fully to the continued growth of this important industry.
This focus on air curtains and air doors means that Mars Air Systems has a vast variety of products to offer in this niche. These products are split up into nearly a dozen different series, each offering different air curtain solutions intended for different settings. Impressively, Mars can provide options to suit virtually any size of space or any size of door. From retail environments with standard-sized front doors to shipping warehouses with large overhead garage doors, Mars can offer an air door for any setting.
Popular air door series from Mars Air Systems include:
LoPro: Mars classifies this series as a “low-noise line” intended for “customer facing commercial installations.” This best selling series is known for being sleek, low-profile, and quiet. Like most Mars products, it comes in Pearl White, Titanium Silver, and Obsidian Black.
For more information about the LoPro series, check out our deep dive into the specs and capabilities of this series.
- ETL Sanitation: As the name suggests, the ETL Sanitation range is explicitly meant for food service environments. Coined the "most cost-effective environmental & sanitation barrier you’ll never see", these air curtains are easy to install and require low maintenance and operation costs all while helping meeting ANSI/NSF Standards.
- Phantom: The Phantom series is so named because these units are extremely unobtrusive. Models in the Phantom range are designed with recess-mounting and unit concealment in mind and are intended for situations where the buyer wants the air curtain to blend into the environment of the building.
- Extra Power: These units are ideal for industrial applications, thanks in part to their high levels of wind resistance. These fly fans tout extra protection for doors and openings and feature 3 fans to provide better performance.
- WindGuard: Like the Extra Power range, but for the next level of customer. These units offer resistance against even heavier wind gusts than Extra Power air curtains. They can also be ordered to fit larger door openings, both in terms of height and width.
- Standard Series: The standard series is one of the most diverse selling air curtain series and can be used in all different types of industries.
For more information on the Standard 2 Series, click here.
These products do not represent the full spectrum of what Mars Air Systems has to offer. However, they do provide a reasonable cross-section or sample of the different products that Mars has available. Other series include QuietPro, Clean Air, and High Velocity.
What Mars Are Known for When It Comes to Air Curtains and Air Doors
First and foremost, Mars Air Systems is known on the air curtain market as a company with an extremely versatile product range. From small air doors for modest-sized customer-facing businesses to large industrial-strength air curtains, Mars is equally adept at crafting reliable air curtains for any commercial or industrial setting.
Energy efficiency is another major talking point when it comes to Mars and one of the company’s top priorities to boot. On the Mars website, the company pledges to follow through with several energy-centric goals for the future, including to “contribute to LEED point credits that support Green Build initiatives” and to develop new ways of integrating Mars products with building management systems.
Finally, Mars Air Systems is known for offering tough-to-beat guarantees of product quality and satisfaction. By using the finest materials and rigorously testing every single air curtain design, the company can deliver products that can live up to even the most demanding applications. Mars can offer the quality assurances it does by paying close attention to standards set by numerous organizations or government offices worldwide. These bodies include Intertek, the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), the European Union, the USDA, the FDA, the National Safety Foundation (NSF), and the U.S. Green Building Council.